Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I used to be a hog grower too...



Add caption





Twelve years ago, we used to maintain a piggery in our farm and on the side, a small lechon haus. When fader (my husband) was on duty, I drove alone as early as 5 in the morning to travel the 75 kilometers  route from Davao city to Matanao, Davao del Sur with a load full of feeds and other needs for our piggery.

In my trips home, I always brought back "bisayang baktin", sacks of uling and kahoy for our lechon orders. Sometimes,  also brought "kambing and manok" for  special occassions. We used our ever reliable multicab to transport goods. Then I went back home loaded again by 6 in the evening.

We had four healthy sows and 45 piglets. We usually spent not less than 10 thousand pesos per week for the feed alone. Mas mahal pa sa among grocery expense every week. And that was eight years ago!

I still remember that during that time, the price of pork was already pegged at P140 per kilo.  Imagine  that during that time the price of feeds have already increased fourfolds yet the price of pork now remains the same.

Life as hog grower then was full of ups and downs. Usually they were mostly full of downs. The trip before cost me a roundtrip expense of P450.00. Now, I have to spend more that P1,000.00 pesos for a roundtrip expense if I go to our farm.

Yet, the price of pork merely increased from P140.00 to P150.00 which was the  price twelve years ago!!

Now the goverment pledges to help the local hog growers survive the unslaught brought about by smuggled....i mean imported pork. Had the officials thought about this  and heed the pleas of the local and small time livestock growers a decade ago, i might still be a part-time hog grower until now.

 tsk. too late a hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CLASSES WILL START REGARDLESS OF....