Saturday, December 19, 2009

water or electricity


I received an email from sir tony ajero a.k.a “ama” to make an editorial cartoon about HEDCOR and the DCWD (davao city water district) dispute over Tamugan. That time the city was torn between two lovers… errr…two issues since both companies made legit claims as to the rightful use of the river.
DCWD incessantly drummed up that water was more important while the HEDCOR claimed the same with electricity.
Blast!!As long as they won’t charge the public exorbitant charges for water and electricity use the public won’t be subjected to suffer “death by water torture and electrocution
A picture was attached to the mail. It was the picture of DCWD Manager Rhodora N. Gamboa
Being a good soldier that I am, I started sketching the editorial cartoon. Though I was also torn between who should be the villain and the hero in my drawing (uhh… obviously, my drawing betrays my leaning..)I was generally inspired that it took me just 30minutes to finish the editorial cartoon. (scanning, photoshop imaging and making final touches in corelDRAW).
It was kinda hard for me to make caricatures with women as subjects… women faces are very “sensitive” to exaggeration lest the subject will look like a man. Not fair.
I can draw and make caricatures of men effortlessly. (just add a bloated belly …stretch the nose wider, make the mien hard and chiseled, ok na. Bassta madali lang magcarricature ng lalaki.)
With only a photograph as reference, the 30 minutes went along just fine. However, when the drawing was done I still got one problem left.
I need to see my subject in person to confirm my illustration.
The following day, I called the DCWD office at 8:00 in the morning and requested for a two minute appointment. Bless the secretary for making me “singit” in the Manager’s very hectic schedule.
I was summoned inside the office and saw the subject in person. I did not wait for her to ask me why I insisted on such appointment. I handed the final drawing for her to see and I said” all I need is a two minute appointment so see, feel and observe the subject.”
She examined he caricature, smiled and said something I can no longer remember what.
I left the Manager’s office in less than two minutes. I drove directly to a wifi café at Victoria and emailed my work to edgeDAVAO  (www.edgedavao.net).
Great.
No revisions on the drawing were made at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

CLASSES WILL START REGARDLESS OF....